Friday, December 03, 2004

Dharma of Knitting

I've learned some rules of knitting just by trial and error. Sure...I've read things and tips to make projects easier, but sometimes ya just gotta do your thing and learn from your mistakes

OK.
***There is such a thing as shitty yarn...
You know, the stuff you pick up and think "WOW, this is a great deal and it would be cheaper to buy this instead of that stuff I really like and it would still work out. WRONG.
When you have any second thoughts about a yarn...put it down.
***Never knit something for a significant other unless you are married to them.
Really. It's happened to some friends...not me, thank goodness, but they have made things for their "others" and soon after...they are out of their life. It is a known fact of knitting circles. They even state this rule in STITCH - N - BITCH.
I was thinking of knitting a tie for a friend. I like this person and I like having them in my life...I will not knit the tie for them. I'll knit one for my dad. He will always be there for me and he loves ties.
God, I should have knitted back in the day...there are a couple of bad boyfriends that I could have gotten rid of sooner!
*** You have to have good tools.
Ok, your dads, uncles, brothers, grandpas...maybe yourself, have special tools. They even build sheds just for tools. There are traveling trucks that sell them. So...what I'm saying is...if you have a favorite kind of needle, then use it. You have to put a lot of time and effort into a project, so you might as well invest in a decent set. I"m kind of ticked...I broke one of my birchwood #9 short needles. This set fits my hands well and they are so smooth. I'm really bummed, but I'll just get a new set...finish the scarf I'm working on, and use the 3rd needle as a stitch holder. Damn, I hate that when it happens. I don't use the needles that was from another generation...I got me a few fancy sets and I love em.
*** Sometimes you have to splurge
This goes with getting good needles...you have to sometimes break down and get some really luscious yarn. You know the stuff that you just wanna touch. I've gotten some awesome imported wool from NZ. I love this hand-dyed Japanese yarn...it has good juju. And I have some gorgeous ribbon yarn from Italy that I'm saving for a scarf for myself.
I've made things with acrylics and some of the new acrylics are really great. But sometimes, you just can't compromise your materials. Vermeer, Da Vinci, Rembrandt and every other great artist did not skimp on his medium. Why the hell should I?
*** Remember to knit something for yourself
I have a sweater that I started in the spring. I have put it down to do other projects for gifts for others. I look at that knitting bag and think "When am I ever going to get this done??!!??" My new years resolution...I'm going to get my sweater done, so that If I get to the shores of lake superior, I will have it on when I dip my toes in and get centered.

This is just a bit of the Dharma of Knitting. Tis the season for me in more than one way...if you don't see me posting, my fingers are busy knitting and purling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home