Friday, February 04, 2005

A month ago...

A month ago today, my gramm died.
Things have been busy and I didn’t even think about the day until someone at the Post gave me their condolences. Then it dawned on me...Gram died a month ago today.
Wow.
Gram story time
My grandmother worked side by side with my grandfather in the newspaper business. She was pretty liberated for her time, but she was “ALWAYS a Lady”. Gram always dressed very well. One of the outfits I remember the most was a polyester number that we called “the Uniform”. The “Uniform” was a 2 piece suit of a Sage green/mustard brocade and mustard braid trim. The jacket was a boxy thing, but well cut and the skirt was a slim A-line. This baby was bought back in the 70’s ( it’s sage green polyester, people) and it was quite expensive. - $200 for the early 70’s and was bought at either Gimbles or some exclusive lady’s dress shop. I remember going to them with my mom and gramm, or just gramm and her friend Mrs. Moen. I’d sit in a chair and watch gramm shop and was fascinated. Kinda like how the Duchess of Windsor would go to the House of Chanel for a fitting...all make way for the Grande Dame. Funny thing...I do remember the sales ladies being really nice to gram. She never scrimped on her clothes and would plunk down a fine sum for her dresses and suits. I was also good because I knew that we were going to go out for lunch and I’d get a “Shirley Temple”. Or if it was a special day...I’d be getting new shoes!
Well, this was one hella suit. And she wore this sucker to death.(No pun intended) She was still wearing it up until the late 90’s before she went into the nursing home. It was worn thin in places, but every once in a while, when she would be going over to mom and dad’s for supper, she’d put it on. Mim and I would grin and Dad would say “you’ve got the uniform on!” , Mom would roll her eyes and we’d all laugh. I think gram would even smile a little!
Why do I think of the suit?...well in the bank, I saw an older lady wearing a coat from the 70’s ( hey, she’s back in now...and I bet Mim would wear it). This coat had a pattern weave in the fabric to look like brocade and it was in sage green. The color of the “Uniform”. The suit was thrown out years ago...ding dang. I would have loved to pull it apart, salvage some fabric, and maybe made a small something to remember that suit. Oh well...
Miss you, gram.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home