Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Current

I have been given a new giant Mix Tape in the form of a new radio station. 89.3 - the Current. MPR took one of their classical stations and decided to make it an eclectic station to get the ears of a younger demographic for an audience ( and future members to pledge their hard earned $$$’s - I worked in public radio. This was one hellava shrewd move and a good one at that)
Imagine this, played in the course of an hour...
classic REM, Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Lucinda Williams, Elvis Costello, The Suburbs, Billie Holiday, The Cure, The Ramones, David Bowie, The Clash, The Jayhawks and Louie Prima mixed in with a liberal blend of new music... of Polera, Tegan and Sara, Magnetic Fields, Divorcee, Postal Service, Travis, Everything But the Girl, Ani Defranco just to name a few...
I am gobsmacked. I love this new station. The Twin Cities have hit the motherload.
I am going to go broke because I want so many new CDs of these artists.
It is janglely guitar heaven for me. I am back making mix tapes in my head. I am in College Alternative Radio bliss. The record shop in Pretty in Pink coolness and a real life example of Nick Hornby’s Hi Fidelity...or maybe even the movie. ( I think it was an influence. Thorne played a few songs from the movie today and dropped hints about the art of making a mix. No top 5 lists though.)
And I have been dancing a wild whirling dervish in my living room when a great one comes on.
And the evening dj is from England...nummy. His name is Mark..(not Darcy though..( Wheat) and the boy knows how to spin an awesome mix.

Here is some of my new faves for songs:
Badly Drawn Boy: Disillusion or Four leaf clover
The Decemberists - I dreamt I was an Architect or Play me Something Familiar
AIR: Cherry Blossom Girl
The Hang-ups: So we Go ( Janglely guitar bliss, people!)
Olympic Hopefuls: Let’s go
Sondre Lerche - Two way monologue ( A sexy new ‘wiegan boy...dreamy)

The CD’s I must get... I’m callin them MINE people!
Frou Frou: “DETAILS “Shhhhh” has got to be one of the sexiest songs..ethereal and too lovely. The whole album is luscious.
Kings of Convenience - Norway’s answer to Keane. ( Yes, Mim...we have ‘weigan Keane boys)
DeVotchKa - one word: lush. Another word: MINE
The Thrills: Irish band that was raised on 70’s pop tunes and the Beach Boys. Too much fun.

And I was taken down memory lane when I heard these:
The Suburbs: Love is The Law. OMG...Molly Ringwald and my long strand of fake pearls knotted with my girly secondhands. I remember the Urge playing this too...God bless the 80’s.
The Replacements: Aching to Be. I haven’t heard this forever and a day...back in the day when Cities 97 was cool
The Specials: Concrete Jungle Music camp and loving ska. Susie’s brother’s mix tapes that saved my high school days.

YOU MUST GO TO THIS STATION...if not go to the web site...
www. mpr.org and click on 89.3 - the current. There is a web streaming and a playlist. I have not even touched the surface of the amount and the variety of music they are playing on this station. I am back listening to music on the radio again. and the brilliant thing is that ...this is public radio. NO COMMERCIALS!
Life is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

thank you, thank you, thank you. I had forgotten about the commercial I saw on television on the station. was a television or did I find the web site? No matter. I'm listening and my ears are dancing. thank you for posting on this.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home