Saturday, January 15, 2005

Pop Pleasures

I listen to a NPR radio show called “Pop Vultures”. www.popvultures.com
It reminds me of many conversations that I have had with friends discussing the merits of pop culture...ie The musical influences of Kid Rock, What ever happened to...?, Madonna’s “new” accent and Rock and fashion.
You know, stuff like that.
A month ago, they did a program on “Guilty Pleasures” and they revealed some of the hidden musical pleasures they get from some rather odd musical choices. It’s been mulling in my mind...I have a lot of guilty pleasures and not all of them are musical.
So, I reorganized my music. I have a lot of genres...and I have a lot of POP music. And I consider my blog a sort of confessional...
I have the standard stuff: Ace of Base. ( Oh God...memories of sweet fruity drinks and too many of them), Princess Stephanie ( YES, I own her disco stuff. Don’t ask), and some others, early Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. You know, standard teen-aged girl stuff.
But then there is some high class POP music... This is the stuff that is so good that you have to give it some props. I love Brit Pop... gotta be the best and I have a ton...
The Housemartins, Bucks Fizz, Tracey Ullman, Rick Astley, Bananarama, Thompson Twins. Yep, gotta love it. I used to get “Star Hits” mag...all Brit pop stars. It was simply “brill”. ( and drove my sister nuts)
Then there are the POP all-stars in my CD collection...(in no particular order or nation). All of them were pop and then went serious...really. Think about it. They make a whole new category of pop music...
EARLY Beatles - once they made “Revolver”...it was serious stuff from here on out.
The Monkees - sure they were just supposed to be just a TV show band, but the songwriters and the material they performed was great. And then the Big Dogs found out they really were musicians... There was really something under Mike Nesmith’s hat.
Culture Club - Brought light to racial inequalities, sexuality, and drug use all in a “Has a great beat and easy to dance to” style. All hail sex, drugs and rock and roll!
Swing Out Sister - started out as fun pop dance music and then a trip to the European contienent and Japan and they let loose their Jazz influences. Damn good stuff...
Beach Boys - One name: Brian Wilson. Need I say more...
ELO - More harmonies and serious pop.
Bee Gees - GOD, I LOVE HARMONIES! These Brothers Gibb are the Lords of the tunes.
And my all time guilty pop pleasure...
WHAM! Yes, Wham! They only made 3 albums and then George went solo. You gotta admit...Careless Whisper was a finely crafted tune.


I have more. really, I do. ( Like you doubted me...) I love my music. And music is a pretty powerful neumonic device. Put on a tune and I’ll tell you a story...
Feel free to discuss and add your own.






2 Comments:

Blogger megingras said...

Meet you there!
Want me to bring the vodka or gin?

2:05 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I have to say, that without a doubt, i owe much of my guilty pleasure to you, my dear sister. I remember sitting with you, listening to rick dee's top 40 when Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go hit number one for the first time. But what, no mention of the psychadelic furs, Frankie, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for fears, Go West, and Erasure? You taught me well big sister, much to the cringing of those who i made "suffer" with my Rick Astley switch-a-roos. But, fuck'um...Right? XOXO.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home