Thursday, December 30, 2004

My Favourite Songs for 2004...the short list.

Being the music lover I am...it was hard to narrow down just a dozen songs that are my faves for the year. I listened to a lot of stuff and really liked many many tunes. (But being in the jazz mode...you can tell my influences for the year.)
Now, These tunes were not all new songs Some are old,but I listened to them and called them MINE! Some I want to sing, some I just listen to and get lost and some I play over and over like a mantra. And I give credit to those who shared the song with me if it was one of those things....
This is my list...not yours so deal with it.
12 ) Ennio Moricone - Cinema Paradiso
Beautiful theme from a great movie. On my many trips across the state, this one mellowed me out while driving in gridlock or the pouring rain. This one is a keeper.
11) Sarah Brightman - Belitis
ETHEREAL is all I can say about this song. Floaty, pretty, you name it...just gorgeous. (Danke, Alexander - You know my musical taste.)
10 ) San Ilya - Bellissimo
I was in B&N killing time and I listened to some new world music...then after I first heard it, they used part of this song for a “Victoria’s Secret” ad campaign. Not that it’s bad...it actually fits. Beautiful song. Whole album you can get lost in. Brazilian samba...trance...you name it , this album has it. Good stuff. This cut is the best. It has this old European flavor of cinema variate movies from France.
9) Karyn Allison - Got My Mind on My Man Again
This song I want to sing. ( and I will one day) Being the romantic I am...it describes just about any man I’ve ever dated or had some form of relationship with. Karyn’s music is great. And no one will ever know exactly who I am singing about...
8) Keane - This is the Last Time
I love this whole album. I play it over and over on repeat. My faves on this cd vary, but I think I like this one best. (Thanks , Mim...i know you love your boys.)
7) Tommy Emmanuel - La Visita
Ahhh....Tommy. I love all of his music. ( And a nice fella to boot) This is just a beauty that you can get lost in. He played this live and it was..WOW . I think I got a bit of a crush.
6) Maroon 5 - Secret
Ok. This whole cd is another that is “all good”, but this is my fave. The chord progression allows you to sing “My Funny Valentine” with it. (I love interchangeable songs) and well the subject matter of the song is quite interesting. I plead the 5th.
5) Diana Krall - Temptation
Ok..Holly Cole did it first and Tom Waits wrote it. ( Bless him) But Diana made this popular. It is sexy...”Well I know he is made of smoke, but I’ve lost my way. He knows that I am broke...but I must pay...Temptation”. Damn good lyrics and a hell of a sultry song. (Thanks “G-note Man”...yes, I’ll do it for you...you dared me to.)
4) Seal - Touch
Oh...I first heard it and loved it. It is a great love song...one of longing, yearning and wanting someone’s touch. And Seal is pretty smooth. One big sigh!
3) Stacey Kent - You are There
Just a girl and a piano. Simple, yet beautiful. “In the evening, when the kettle’s on for tea, an old familiar feeling settles over me. And I believe that you are there”
This is another I want and need to sing. A girl, a piano, and her song for a faraway lover.
2) Annie Lennox - The Hurting Time
Very Zen song...begins with “To everything there is a purpose....every livin thing will surely come to pass and what will be will be...That’s when the hurting time begins”
She is raw and like the album’s title: Bare. This is a mighty soulful song and when I sing along...my voice takes on a tone and an easiness that even amazes me. the song just comes from within. And when singing some songs...you can’t fake it or force it. I feel this one. Found this song just when I needed it...serendipity at work.
1) Holly Cole - If I Should Start to Cry
Yes, this one made it to #1 with a bullet. One of those I heard and called MINE immediately. and I want to sing this with all my heart and soul. The bridge is great: “The saddest thing about this is I don’t know what’s really wrong. And the funniest thing about this is, I’m not even sure what I want” (Usually bridges aren't the best...this one fits so well.)
This song is about one woman’s journey about living the questions.
Interesting...since I had this discussion about this very topic the other day with a friend.
How fitting that it is my #1 song...cuz I’m living the questions right now. (Thanks, Arthur for the whole album! Thanks for sharing Holly's music. I love Holly)
HONORABLE MENTION:
Rosemary Clooney - I Wish You Love
The classiest breakup song ever written. It says goodbye and spreads good karma at the same time. And Rosemary does it so well. Yes, it is on my song list.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home