Monday, January 17, 2005

Being Rendered speechless

I’ve had a rather enlightening two days. Being inside, in the cold, lends to time on one’s hands and a chance to reflect on things. And lately, I’ve been given situations and happenings to give me quite a few things to reflect on in the last few months. Sometimes we repeat the same patterns in our lives. I feel like I’ve been put on repeat mode. And I’ve finally stopped long enough to see what has been going on...for a long time. And it's time to do something about it. I'm not the most patient of persons, and I want my answers NOW, but it took me a long time to get here, so why should I think that the answers come to me like a epiphanic gift sent by a heavenly messenger. ( This isn't "Dogma" and I am not a scion)
I remember when I dipped my toes in the lake and asked that the answers be sent to me.
I’ve been living the questions lately. And when the answers come, you never know how they arrive or who is the messenger giving you the answer. And now I’m asking the 4 Questions...I need to go back and continue “Doing the Work”. I haven’t been doing “The Work” lately.
The Work is a method of self-actualization/awareness by a woman named Byron Katie.
It’s a mixture of Zen meditation, Socratic inquiry, and 12 Step Programs. It gives a person a way to really challenge their personal “projections” or “story” as she puts it. It puts responsibility back on the person looking for their own answers, not someone else’s answers or the world’s answers. The questions I’ve been living and trying to answer are just my projections coming back to me. And as they say...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
To quote her:
“The Work is merely four questions. It always leaves you with less of a story. Who would you be without your story? You never know until you inquire. There is no story that is you or that leads to you. Every story leads away from you. Turn it around: undo it. You are what exists before all stories. You are what remains when the story is understood.
The Four Questions:
1. Is it true?
2. Can you absolutely know that it’s true?
3. How do you react when you think that thought?
4. Who or what would you be without that thought?
TURN IT AROUND.”
Her website is: www.thework.com
Sometimes the truth takes you aback. I appreciate being told the truth.

Today the truth hit me like a brick to the head.

“Martha...you know nothing is permanent.”
“Yes, I know...,” I answered.
“Then why do you think they are...”

It’s time to go back to work. In more ways than one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home