Tuesday, December 06, 2005

There are people I'll remember...in my life...25 years later

Where were you?
What were you doing?

I remember. I was in the car with my parents in Downtown Minneapolis. It was a magical day…the auditorium of Dayton’s and their annual Christmas Storybook coming to life, shopping, lunch at the Nankin, and then my birthday present!!! We had balcony seats to see “Annie” with the original Daddy Warbucks. It was a girl’s dream come true.
The show ended and we went and picked up my grandmother at the bus depot and had dinner. I won’t forget this…as we were pulling out of the station, it started to snow. That white fluffy stuff that is so pretty in the evening. It just sparkled. My parents had the radio on due to the weather and I asked them to turn it up because “The Long and Winding Road” was playing and I love that song. (Yes, I was a Beatles fan when I was a pup and still am)The song ended and then the announcer came on (Dan Donovan on KS95) and said that John Lennon was dead. My mom said “Oh that’s sad” My dad said “that’s a shame. I kind of liked him” My grandmother said “What difference should that make. It’s just another hippie musician” (if you have read my stories about grandma…you will know that this is a typical Lucille statement.)Me…I just sat there and asked that we keep the radio on.
The music was wonderful. I felt really really sad. And most of all, a part of my idyllic childhood was gone and the reality of a big ugly cruel world crept into my life.
That birthday – 2 weeks later – my parents bought me “Double Fantasy”. It’s still one of my favorite albums. And the more I read about Lennon, yes, he was a tortured soul, he was a cruel SOB, he was a gifted artist, a prolific songwriter, a bastard musician, but most of all a sensitive man that shared his gift and ideals with the world.
Now 25 years later, he’s still my favorite Beatle and it’s interesting that I still can remember 25 years ago like it was yesterday.
So here’s a thought for John…in his own words:


Bless you wherever you are
Windswept child on a shooting star
Restless Spirits depart
Still we're deep in each other's hearts


John Winston Ono-Lennon – 1940 – 1980. RIP

1 Comments:

Blogger mtnman said...

I was at a party on that fatefull night. We were all devastated, and a happy crowd one minute was reduced to tears the next. The next day at work some old guy muttered "good ridance". I just walked away before I said or did something to get fired over.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home