Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Fight or Flight reaction

This is a real conversation. This is how a single girl on Valentine's day is treated by some.

Lady: So honey, what did you get for Valentine's day?
Me: Nothing.
L: Oh..really?!? Well, there is still tonight.
M: No, I don't expect anything.
L: Oh honey, you have to have a valentine.How about flowers?
M: No, the shop is already closed.
L: You mean youdon't have anyone.
M: (Deadpan) No, I don't.
L: You're not telling me that you're all alone?!?
M: Yes, That's what I'm saying.
L: (With worry) Oh, honey. That is bad. You're not getting any younger.
M: (Not knowing whether to cry or kill) No, I'm not getting any younger. Thank you. Have a Happy Valentine's Day.

And I had to walk away. That was harsh...and she meant well.

Now, I don't expect to have the sun and the moon or the stars, but jeez...
My best friend sent me a card in the mail that says:
"Break out the vacuum 'cause this holiday sucks" Open it: Happy Valentine's Day.
At least she's got a cat.
I do have to say...Jay and Jay have given me hope that love is alive and well. (They are so damn cute) But after this conversation...well, it sent me over the edge. How can one fucking day send a grown woman into a tizzy?
They - whoever "they" is - have brainwashed the crap out of me and a ba-jillion other women. It's like we have a ton of expectations and then they are just shot to hell. I've been through a lot worse, but this day can really hang you up the most.
Like "My Funny Valentine", the lyrics say 'Let's make everyday Valentine's day". Yep. Sure.
I'll be fine. Really. Give me until the end of the week and then I'll be back to my "normal" self.
Until then...It just might be a "Vodka and Chaka Kahn" moment.
I'm thinking more in line with a beer and the Violent Femmes.
"Lemme go wild...like a Blister in the Sun..."

1 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

"Until then...It just might be a "Vodka and Chaka Kahn" moment." That's wonderful. Love it. Look honey, you gotta suck up this being miserable. Nobody likes to hang with a sad sack. Right now is your time to get ready for your next Lava Love adventure. You're supposed to be sorting thru experiences, learning from and discarding the negative. Then when you're ALMOST ready, the magic will happen. Just relax. It's coming.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home