Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I'm a Craic whooore

Craic...gaelic for conversation and pronounced crack.

I had an interview today that lasted 2.5 + hours. YES...it was for a music company in a neighboring town and they are going through personnel changes. So my job would be Jill of all trades...wearer of many hats. Plus he asked if I would be interested in giving lessons - voice and beginners piano. MMM...now, it's like being a kid in a candy shop for me being in the music store. I would love a new piano. And I need a new microphone. (really, I do - most gigs are BYOM) and there's tons of sheet music and then (!!!!) There was this gorgeous acoustic/electric guitar with yes, a purple finish and I picked it up and it fit me like it was made for me. ( Good brand too)
The owner wants to make me a part of this store...he likes my work experience, my enthusiasm, the fact that I have customer service skills and I have musical knowledge.
Well..he also tested me. He had me wait on a customer. ANd this customer talked and talked and I couldn't place the accent at first. Then it hit me...he's either been watching The Committments too many times or he's from the Emerald Isle, Ireland. Well he talked my ear off...got his strings and then told the owner that "I have bloody good bits of crack for the place."
OK...what did I hear him say?!? I didn't have any cleavage showing. I didn't have a pair of tight pants on. And I don't have the time or the $$ to have illegal drugs on my person.
The owner laughed and talked with the guy for a while and then left. The owner said, I know the guy. I just wanted to see what you would do and you pass the test. He's a friend of mine.
Now...on a side note, Not all Irish fellas look like the members of U2, or Denis Leary, or that cute naughty guy named Colin. But damn...that accent just sent me for a loop.
But wait...he said I had good crack. The cheeky bastard.
Then I remembered.
Thank goodness for all the Maeve Binchy/Marion Keys books and Roddy Doyle books and movies...and the movie "The Matchmaker". Janeane Garafalo had the same reaction when she heard the word "craic" in the same connotation. Duh...it means conversation. I can hold a good conversation...well, why the hell didn't you say that in the first place.
I love to talk and have a good conversation and a music store to boot...
Well, I'll find out by Thursday afternoon if I have the job. Do whatever prayer or magic you do my friends...I need a JOB and bad.

PS: I twisted the ankle again. It, just like, went out on me...ding dang. Called the dr's assistant, I wrapped it...doing all that I'm supposed to be doing - RICE. Got a call from the DR...wants to see me. May have to have an MRI because he wants to know what the hey is going on with it and why. I consider it: many previous sprains, stepping lightly due to ice and ick, lupus and arthritis, and the changes in the weather. My bones are feeling it. POOP. I won't be at the concert.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Craic, I'll have to remember that. I worked in government where literally I met up with every accent in the world and learned to nod my head like I understood them all. Craic's a good one though.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home