Monday, July 12, 2004

Make Your Own Kind of Music...


Wishin and Hopin Posted by Hello
Oh Dear Dusty, What shall I do?
I have a wonderful chance to sing for a gig. It's a big break for me...and it's jazz. But I have a problem of which direction to go.
You see...there's the "popular" way to go and then there's the artistic way to go.I haven't even sung one note and I'm already having some artistic differences.
So, I've come up with an idea...I'll learn some of the songs the piano player wants me to learn and he will have to learn some of the songs I want to sing. Compromise. Sure, Diana Krall is the way to go for jazz music right now and I'll sing her, but I don't want to sing Norah Jones. To me she's not jazz...but I suggest ( and even burned) some songs and I get this nose in the air crap. I've made my song list out. He will make his and we will meet in the middle. I'm only a "guest" vocalist...I get that "featured vocalist" billing. That's where the greats ( Peggy Lee, Rosemary Clooney, Billie Holiday, Ella to name a few) started and I'm starting at the beginning, too. ( I just need a couple of songs that really showcase my voice and then ears will perk up... which may lead to other gigs. I'm always thinking!)
Dusty always had to deal with compromise. Between her personal life and her musical integrity, Dusty was always making choices. So now I invoke the Diva Wisdom of Dusty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home