Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The Soundtrack of your Life


One...Singular sensation! Posted by Hello
My sister and I were having a wonderful discussion about our childhood. We have come to the conclusion that we are warped. No…not from abuse or horrific and traumatic events. No! Nothing of the sort. Sure we had the typical family dysfunction, but nothing like “having a meth lab in your basement” kind of stuff.
We have come to the realization that Broadway Show Tunes have shaped our psyches.
I’m not kidding.
What child would know all the lyrics to A Chorus Line, Godspell, Barnum, and Annie by the time they were 10?!? (I’m happy to say I deviated from the mix and found the Manhattan Transfer and the Streisand albums.) But we ran around the house happily singing “Tits and ass…bought myself a fancy pair….” And we were pretty cool little kids for knowing all of “Day By Day” for Junior Choir at church. My happiest moment was seeing my sister sing “Tomorrow” for the school talent contest when she was in first grade. And my proudest was when I was playing “Chairy” in Barnum and dedicated the role to my mom, who now has been married to the ultimate showman/Director, my dad, for over 37 years.
I still watch the Tony Awards and sometimes I have a bittersweet moment. But sometimes knowing that you are the greatest star in your own living room is a good feeling too.
So if the moment strikes me…you better watch out, I might just break out into a Show Tune when you least expect it.
PS – We shared this with our parents. My mom whole-heartedly agreed and smiles about it when she hears a song from one of the shows. My dad grandly tells the story of how his two girls would act out the parts of his favorite shows for him. And they both proudly exclaim how they “warped” their daughters for life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home