Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sick


I was in the hospital 2 weeks ago.
I had a nasty nasty kidney infection. My temp averaged 102 for at least 4 days. Not fun.
I did originally go to the dr and the antibiotics didn't work... and I was home, hallucinating with NPR, and dreaming that John McCain was wearing lederhosen and I was busy packing up clothing for Zimbawe
So...I finally saw Dr Rucker again and he took one look at me and said that it is time for me to go next door., meaning the hospital next to the clinic.
So I put on a lovely gown, was so dehydrated that they had to poke me 4 times before they got my vein for an IV and just watched cable tv.
You know...if you haven't eaten for 5 days and only drank Sprite, watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and wanting BBQ. Not good.
So My friend, Gina smuggled me in a ham sandwich, because the food was nasty. And thank goodness I was given all the sprite i could drink.
AND i barely slept in the place. Old people coughing a lot, being woken up every 3 hours and the first night I was there, the lady across the way got up in the middle of the night, pulled out her IV and went to the bathroom. They were talking loudly to her - read YELLING - and trying to get everything back together for her, but they didn't bother to close my door. So the first night I was there....I got about 3 hours of sleep and couldn't sleep for the whole day. I chewed ass (I said to the charge nurse..."All you needed to do was close the door") and proceeded to spend the day watching Food Network, TLC and Turner. I watched movies, tv and whatnot.
Finally on Sunday...I got to go home. Tired and finding out that I had to go to work the next day. Too fun.
Im better now. Tired...and still getting back to 100% but I'm better
Oh yeah...I also found out that you CAN fuck up jello. (Thank God for Toast and Sprite)

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony Pucci said...

Yeah, one of the big ironies of hospitals is it is a place of "healing", but you can never get any good sleep! I know it well from my colon resection of a few years back. And if you do finally fall asleep, somebody comes in at 3am to get a blood sample! And I too know what it's like to not eat for two whole weeks; watching the food network becomes some wierd form of torture/academic exercise.

I'm glad you're out. I'm sorry you have to work too much. I'm sorry for a lot of things. I've been thinking a lot this past month or so. All I can say is I know I'm finally learning a few lessons, for a change, and yes, I am moving forward towards a better place in life. I'm working hard and becoming the man I need to be. But I'm not leaving rose-scented promises at your door; next time I show up, it's for real.

Keep the guitar safe. Play "Blister in the Sun" on it once in a while!

9:19 AM  
Blogger MBT said...

Let me be the first to say, "Oh jeez... AGAIN!?!"

just kidding... glad you're back home and hope you're feeling better. I realize I owe you a phone call or something. Soon, I promise.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home